Thursday, January 1, 2009

Bring it on 2009

2009 should be a year of new beginnings in a way for me. I need a reboot or a restart and that could probably translate to everybody. 

I'm going to start the year off then with a list of trends that I wish would slowly disappear to only the truly stylish and unique.

1. Obnoxious faux glasses

As a person who needs glasses and knows their expense and how difficult it is to find a pair that flatters the face, I can say how annoying as hell it is to see people wearing huge, cheap plastic frames for absolutely no reason. Especially the silly looking Ray-Ban Buddy Holly glasses that make any wearers nose look freaking huge while simultaneously making their eyes incredibly tiny. 

2. Neon/nu-rave

Neon is not a flattering colour on everyone. Sometimes it can be used to an okay effect, but unfortunately most overuse neon. I'm sure the above picture is from some theme party, but if I saw a guy wear the above shirt I think I would walk the other way. Neon guarantees hipster douche-bag. 

3. Faux vintage

The thing with this t-shirt specifically is that The Stooges broke up in 1974. Therefore anyone who buys this t-shirt were most likely not alive at any point when The Stooges were originally together. And I have a feeling that a real Stooges fan would not deign to buying a fake vintage shirt from Urban Outfitters. It would be much cooler to make your own. 

This shirt I'm putting in the "Faux Vintage" category, but it also fits in with people making pseudo political statements in t-shirt form. I'm all for peace and stopping wars that aren't really going anywhere/hurting innocent people, but it's lame to simply buy a t-shirt and do nothing else. The money in buying this shirt [which was originally $28] doesn't appear to fund any kind of charity, unless Urban Outfitters can be considered a 'charity'. I say cut out the non-existent middle man and donate that money to an actual charity instead of buying a t-shirt to make you feel good about yourself. 

4. California Beach Bum
A look popularized by the model Erin Wasson. I've never been to California, and I bet it's hot, but I'm sure their are more creative ways to beat the heat than barely there tank tops and cut-offs. Canada can have it's hot moments too. However when people adopt this look year round it's kind of dull. Not to mention Erin Wasson [who is a smoker] kind of looks like a crack addict. 

What would you like to see float away into the ether of time? Leggings, Uggs what have you. I'd like to know.  

3 comments:

Megan said...

Such a refreshing fashion post, you're an ace writer. It's nice to know I've got such classy and intelligent Charade followers ;) x

Cathryn said...

Thank you so much. I just recently discovered your blog, but I think it's fabulous. As I just recently started University this year as well so your tips are truly helpful.

Isabel said...

I'm definitely with you on that California beach bum look. LAME.